Friday, December 17, 2010

Literary connections


Though the author Cathy Williams read from at yesterday's session of Literary Lunches may not be familiar, the local event that writer attended is familiar: the annual UND Writers Conference.
Williams read the work of Karen Russell, who participated in the 2010 Writers Conference for which the topic was wit.  Specifically, Williams read the title story from Russell's St. Lucy's Home for Girls Raised by Wolves.

In an online interview at Book Browse, Russell talks about the importance of reading. Click the text below to read more.


What in your own life made you want to become a writer?
Reading, definitely. I loved reading so much; I mean, I still do, but not with that sort of illicit midnight intensity. I was such an anxious kid, and reading was a way out. At sleepovers, I would sneak away and lock myself in the bathroom and read the other kids’ books. Here was a way to step-out of your child’s body and into the mind of a Salem witch or a bunch of warring rabbits. It’s still amazing to me. It was spooky and intimate and totally intoxicating, to step into an author’s private rooms. I’d read the words and they became my rooms. Then I wanted to be a writer myself, to do to others what these authors were doing for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment